"Ramadan is the (month) in which Qur'an was sent down, as a guide to mankind, and a clear guidance and judgement (so that mankind will distinguish right from wrong). Whoever among you witnesses the month of Ramadan should fast through it. But whoever is sick or on a journey, the prescribed period (missed should be made up) by days later. Allah wants ease for you and He does not want to put you into difficulties. (He wants you) to complete the prescribed period and to glorify Him in that He has guided you; and perchance ye shall be grateful" Q(2:185).
"O ye who believe, fasting is prescribed for you as it was prescribed for people before you so that you will (learn how to attain) piety" (Q2:183)
As I mentioned in my previous article titled "An Open to All Muslim Friends in Malaysia", I talked about the spiritual significance of fasting and how it could refresh our mind and soul, as a result, we would become a better person because of our empathy with the sufferings of others and, through fasting, pious Muslims would receive the spiritual discernment to distinguish right from wrong. Though a non-Muslim, I can attest to it through voluntarily fasting with Muslims and reading the Quran.
Despair (noun) meaning: the feeling that there is no hope and that you can do nothing to improve a difficult or troubling situation. (Example: Is government in a mood of despair or drive the people to despair?)
According to the Qur'an, Iblees (satan) disobeyed God and as a result was forced out of heaven and given respite until the day of judgment from further punishment. Satan will divert many of Adam's own descendants from the straight path during his period of respite. Those who follow the way of satan will behave like satan, act like satan, talk like satan, think like satan, running amok -- they won't do what Quran teaches us to do, on the contrary they will do what Quran admonishes us NOT to do, for example "detention without trial", corruption, racism, murder, etc.
Allah in Arabic language also means "Most Compassionate", "Most Merciful", but those who follow the way of satan are the most ruthless and the most heartless!
Nowadays many people talk about ghost, devil, satan and hantu, most people believe in the existence of ghost, devil, satan and hantu, and yet few people have ever actually seen ghost, devil,satan and hantu; nonetheless, many, especially those who are absolutely corrupted by power, have manifested in the form of ghost, devil, satan and hantu!
To distinguish right from wrong, we must know what ghost, devil, satan and hantu are, and understand what they are against:
1. they are "evil" because they are against "holiness",
2. they are "filthy" because they are against "cleanness",
3. they are "corrupt" because they are against "righteousness"
4. they are "arrogant" because they are against "humility"
5. they are "cruel" because they are against "compassion"
6. they are "dictatorial" becaue they are against "freedom"
7. they are "avaricious" because they are against "altruism"
8. they are "depraved" because they are against "justice"
9. they are "lustful" because they are against "loving"
10.they are "taking" because they are against "giving"
11. they are "liar" because they are against "honesty"
12. they are "vengeful" because they are against "mercy"
13. they are "polluted" because they are against "purity"
14. they are "brutal" because they are against "meekness"
15. they are "racist" because Islam is against racism and prejudice!!
What Allah has taught us in the Quran is what they are against!
Let's think and think carefully who have gone astrayed and followed the path of satan, lest us follow in their footsteps and evil deeds.
May Allah open our eyes to distinguish right from wrong in this Holy Month of Ramadan.
May Allah bless our land and also protect us against the evil deeds of satan! Amin.